Disappointing results. My FSH is still elevated. This normally indicates a poor ovarian reserve. Because of this, they are going to recommend a more aggressive approach to treatment in the future (I can only guess she was referring to IVF). I don't completely understand these test results, so I will just share with you some information I have found on the internet.
What is FSH?
Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) is one of the two “gonadotropins” secreted from the pituitary gland to regulate the function of the ovary (LH or Luteinizing Hormone being the other). FSH stimulates the ovaries’ production of estrogen and promotes development of the follicles. The estradiol produced by the ovaries signals the brain to decrease the production of FSH. Therefore if there is not enough estrogen produced by the ovary, then the brain doesn’t receive the signal and FSH production continues.
What is ovarian reserve and why is it important?
Ovarian reserve is defined as the health of the ovaries and the eggs they
contain. As a women ages, the amount of eggs in reserve naturally decreases
and
her FSH levels increase. The amounts of eggs in reserve can only be
approximated.What do the numbers mean?
Less than 9 A good level and you should expect an adequate response to ovarian stimulation
9-10 Fair and response is between completely normal and somewhat
reduced
10-12 Reduced ovarian reserve with a reduced response to stimulation and possibly some reduction in egg and embryo quality
12-17 Marked reduction in response to stimulation and more reduction in egg and embryo quality
Over 17 Very poor response or no response to stimulation
Over 30-40 Menopause suspected and menstrual cycles will tend to stop
After I am reading this information I am encouraged. My level was 8.6 The nurse was telling me that they prefer to see it between 2-6, and that was the criteria she was giving me in saying mine was elevated.... hmmmm. Who knows? For now I will continue taking Clomid for 3 more days.



0 comments:
Post a Comment