Saturday, August 04, 2007

Domestic Work

do·mes·tic Pronunciation [duh-mes-tik] –adjective
1. of or pertaining to the home, the household, household affairs, or the family: domestic pleasures.


Mark and I decided to take on a domestic chore this weekend. On second thought, I guess that's not entirely accurate--I decided, Mark followed along. Such a good man I have!! We went to a farm in Jerome, and picked up 5 baker's dozen ears of corn. Mark had already brought several ears of corn home a couple of days earlier, so all in all Friday night we had about 70 ears of corn.


Mark shucked the corn. I washed it. He cut it off the cob, and I measured out the ingredients (corn, butter, salt, sugar and water) and cooked it for a few minutes. I wasn't able to find the recipe we used a couple of years ago, and I think this one was a little different, so we had to taste it of course. OH so yummy!!


After letting the tub of corn cool overnight, This morning I portioned it just right for our little family, and bagged it. 23 bags of corn, ready for the freezer. Not quite as much as I wanted. I was hoping for closer to 40 bags. So back to the farm I went for another 6 baker's dozen bags. (FYI, in case you aren't familiar with a baker's dozen, it's a dozen plus 1-- reasons for this differ. I think it's so there's plenty for tasting!) ;)
That batch this morning yielded a very full tub. Much more than last night! We got another 29 bags from that. We took several bags to each of our parents. I told my mom to consider it rent on the electric knife she didn't know we broke into her house and borrowed the night before.
I love being able to pull a bag of corn from the freezer in he middle of winter, put it in a bowl in the microwave for a few minutes, and have yummy, very fresh tasting side dish. Maybe some day I'll be able to be more domestic and do other things beside corn. But this is a good start for now!

0 comments: