Monday, February 05, 2007

Lots of info from todays appointment

Today is the 9th day of my cycle (also known ad CD9) and I had a doctor's appointment, and there is lots of information from that appointment.

First thing, my cycle day 3 (CD3) bloodwork showed elevated follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). I was thinking that would be a good thing, but apparently it is not. It was 8.5, and they would like to see between 4-6. This can indicate poor ovarian reserve. If you want more information on this test and results, you can go here: http://www.advancedfertility.com/day3fsh.htm to learn more.

Second, the follicles. On the right I had 1- 10mm, 4- 8mm's and 2- 7mm's. On the left I had 1- 11mm and 1-10mm. They prefer to see 2- 18mm's before giving me a shot to trigger the release of the eggs. The lining of my uterus was between 4-5, and they want to see 8, but that number isn't of much concern yet because as the follicles mature, estrogen is released that helps develop the lining, that hopefully a baby or two will snuggle into.

Last month I had a dye test done to make sure my fallopian tubes were clear. We can make all the eggs in the world, but it won't do me much good if the tubes are blocked. That test is called an HSG and it showed a blocked left tube. So I was very thrown when the nurse said what we are hoping to see is is the 10mm & 11mm on the left, and the 10mm on the right mature. I reminded her that my left tube was blocked. She said there is a 10% chance that an egg released by one ovary can be picked up by the other tube. I had never heard that. So for now, the plan is to continue injections Tuesday & Wednesday and have another follicle check ultrasound Thursday morning. They said normal follicle growth is 2mm per day, so we should hopefully have something close by Thursday. I'm just praying those smaller follicles stay put and don't grow. I don't want too many.

The other thing they talked to me about was another not really infertility related test I had done. My 1st mom died when I was 3 (and she was 25) of ovarian cancer. So with my initial consult with the Reproductive Endocrinologist (RE), I was concerned about the ovulation inducing drugs, and further increasing my already increased risk for ovarian cancer. So the RE said why not find out if I carry the gene mutation for the elevated risk of ovarian cancer. So I had the blood work done the end of December when I had the HSG. There were a lot of questions about which blood test I was to have done etc. Anyway, I called the next week and got the results. The test showed negative for the particular gene marker they were testing for. So today, the nurse tells me the hospital lab did the wrong test!! (Gotta love the local hospital, they are known as "Tragic Valley" Regional Medical Center, instead of "Magic Valley") So, you might think, just get the right test done. IT'S $3000!!!! and most often not covered by insurance, so they want cash in hand or a written preauth for them to ORDER THE KIT to do it! The nurse didn't find this out from MY hospital though, she had to call around somewhere else! SHEESH! So I'm not sure what cancer marker I'm negative for, but at least I'm negative for something.

Other than that, I'm feeling more side effects today. My emotions are very close to the surface. I teared up at work a bit this afteroon when the boss asked to speak to me about something. I've had terrible headaches, and a few more hot-flashes. Other than that, all is well :)

So, prayer request, please pray for the perfect number of follicles to mature at the perfect time, and the other follicles not to grow anymore!

0 comments: