Tuesday, November 06, 2007

We have a target date!

I tried to update my with the short version from my cellphone this afternoon, but it didn't work this time. So here's the long version.

What a day! OYE, seemed like nothing could go right from the time I left the house this morning. I worked till noon, and came home to take care of our dog Lady. After she was taken care of, I headed out. Got a couple of miles away, and wondered if I had closed the garage door. So I came back home, all was well. Got across town, reached for my phone to call DH and let him know I was on the road. No cellphone. I really didn't want to travel that far without it, so I came home again, searched for my phone, found it, and had a met attack (aka the poopies). All in all, I didn't get out of town until 1:30. Good thing I got off work when I did! I barely made it in time for my appointment.

This was only the 2nd time I've had an appointment with the actual doctor. Usually it's an NP. The nurse that was assisting told me before the doctor came in, how happy she was that we were doing this. She said they are pretty stingy with their embies there at the clinic. Apparently they get calls from all over the country looking for embryos. She also told me that her very best friend just left the office. She talked her into doing EA, and just left the office from her first u/s where they saw one little heart beating.

I'm not fond of the doctor. At least I wasn't from our first consult a year ago. At that time, he came across very arrogant and abrasive. Today he seemed much more personable and funny. The catheter hurt a bit, but it always does with me. I have a "tricky cervix." The ultrasound itself was very quick. We were having a conversation while he did it, and it was over before I knew it. Everything looked perfect, and he said he'd see me in January! He asked if I had any questions. I did, but I was still half naked, covered with a large paper towel. Good thing I came prepared. I asked him to hand me my notebook, and I turned to the page of questions I had prepared for him. My questions for him were rather simple. The nurse laughed at my organization, and asked if I would come with her next time she needed to go to the doctor :)

After that, the embryo donor coordinator had scheduled some time to meet with me as well. So we went to her office to talk dates. The target date for transfer is January 15! They are frozen in three separate straws. One straw has three embryos, and the other two straws each have two embryos. They will thaw the group of three embryos first. If two or three survive, we will transfer those. If only one survives, they will thaw another straw.

Oh, one more thing about the ultrasound. I do have a large cyst on one of my ovaries. I start birth control pills today to resolve the cyst and control my cycle until it's time to get rolling. I will be on the pill until December 16. I will have my baseline ultrasound on December 20th. Also on that day, we will have our plan of care meeting, where we will nail down the rest of the dates for monitoring etc, and our shot class. I will start estrogen shots then. I've got some blood work to be done in the meantime.

Other than that, it's hurry up and wait. I'm so excited! Having dates makes this all the more real!Sorry to leave you hanging for so long. On the way home, I had to stop at my sister's house for my nephew and niece's birthday parties. Made for a LONG day. I'm going to get ready for bed now. Tomorrow I'll explain the actual procedure I went through today, and the reasons for it. Thank you all for checking on me!

0 comments: