Sunday, November 18, 2007

Movin' on up!


"....Moo-oo-vin on up, to a dee-luxe apartment in the skyyyyyy."

No, we're not moving. We have been in our house exactly 3 years. No immediate plans to move. Yes, I'm singing the theme song from the old tv show "The Jeffersons." Recently our kitties have found great comfort hiding out in the perceived safety of a tv tray that was left out. They love it. They take turns "hiding" out under there. I decided they needed a new place to hide out. I went to Petsmart to check out their kitty condos. I was quickly reminded of the reason we have never purchased a condo for our kitties. For a single level, 12" round, kitty house, it was I think $30-40. That's for basically one square foot. YIKES! I just couldn't justify it. We went to Home Depot, and bought a concrete tube form. It's basically a huge toilet paper roll. It's 12" in diameter, and 4 feet long. This was $11. I made a couple of visits to a local carpet store, and talked the guy into saving a remnant piece for me. He gave it to me, and asked me to keep him in mind when I need carpet for our house. I promised I would. This carpet was great. I'd love to have it in my whole house! I had most of the wood at home. We had to spend a few dollars more on hardware and little bits of lumber. All in all, I would say the kitty's "Deluxe apartment in the sky" was about $17-20. Similar sized condos at Petsmart were $150-200. I went a little nuts building. It's a tri-level. From the inside of each little round den, there is a hole to go up to the next level. Except the top den. That has a little nesting box area. One of them likes it... the other isn't sure what she thinks about the whole thing just yet.

In other news. Less than 2 months to our FET! Very exciting. Just a few days shy of a month to our next doctors appointment. Gotta find more things to keep myself busy. The kitty condo project wiped out this weekend pretty well. :) Hopefully holiday activities will have me occupied over the next 8 weeks or so....

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm - How do you feel about contracting for another kitty condo project for the Boise area? We've been wanting to do something else for our furries but are as horrified at the prices as you were... Maybe we could at least get the blueprints for yours? lol :)
KK