
A bit of background: A couple of years ago when we went to Disneyland we made arrangements to board Lady at very nice facility. They aren't in cages the whole time. As long as the dogs can get along with each other, then can be out and about throughout the large dog area of the facility. They can go inside or to the fenced in area outside at will during "free time." I didn't see it, but the brochure even says they have cable tv. I would guess they are watching Animal Planet. I know Lady like to watch animals on TV. Lady is very important to us. We are probably more protective of her than your average pet owner. She's really a part of our family. A couple of weeks before our vacation we made an appointment to take her in for an exam at the vet, and her to update her vaccinations, mainly her kennel cough vaccine. Wouldn't you know it, one week later.... she has kennel cough! She picked it up while she was at the vet. Because of this we could no longer board her at the facility we wanted to, but the vet said we could board her with them. So I was feeling a little sad when I dropped her off, so I asked to see where she was going to be, to put my mind at ease. BIG MISTAKE! It was terrible. It was loud, and dingy. Just an ugly, sad place. I wanted to take her and run. I was bawling. I made some phone calls, but we just didn't have any other valid options.
Most of the time, when we travel it's not far, and we can take Lady with us. We've only had to leave her a few times since that Disney Trip, and we've either been able to leave her with friends or family. This time, for our vacation, it has worked out that no one can keep her for us. We've weighed out our options and decided to try the boarding facility we wanted to take her to the first time. I feel so anxious about it though. So this week I went to take a peek at the facility again. It's really very nice. This facility also offers daycare. So I signed her up for a day so we could see how she did. Ignore the pathetic look on her face in the above picture. We didn't really make her wear a backpack to daycare. That was taken after the fact for fun. She just didn't see the fun in it. She did know something was up that morning. She usually goes to her crate when she sees me brushing my teeth. It's usually the last thing I do before leaving the house. She did go to her crate, and then bolted back out and started spinning around in the living room. She usually does this before she goes for a ride in the car. She LOVES to go for rides in the car. She did have a great day at daycare. I still feel a bit anxious about leaving her for 5 days, but I think she will do wonderful.

One of the things it said in the brochure for the doggy daycare is that happy dogs play hard and sleep harder. That she did. She was worn out when she got home that night. We will probably do daycare one more time before our trip. Lady learns very quickly, and we want to make sure she learns that we will come back for her.
0 comments:
Post a Comment