There are many things I looked forward to in my desire to become a parent. I had many years to plan for this. I wanted so badly to create new traditions with my children, and to make memories with them. I had high expectations.
One of those traditions I looked forward to was Christmas in the Nighttime Sky. Christmas in the Nighttime Sky is a local event the night after Thanksgiving. It’s sponsored by many local businesses. There is a potato/chili dinner and concert, followed by fireworks set to Christmas music. Admission is a new un-wrapped toy for Toys for Tots. We have never braved the crowds by going to the actual event. But Mark and I have been going to watch the fireworks from nearby for years. We go to Starbucks and get hot apple cider, and find somewhere to park with a good view of the fireworks, and stay warm in our car. Go ahead and judge.
The thing is… those high expectations I mentioned. I remember several years sitting in the car with my apple cider wondering if I’d ever have a child to bring here and watch too. Then Emma came into our lives. She was two months old when we first took her to “see” the fireworks. Those expectations? They crashed and burned. Emma started screaming about the time the first fireworks went off. Papa-bear came out in Mark. He was sure the sound scared her. I’m still pretty sure that she was just upset that she was in her car seat and the car wasn’t moving. Either way- no one was having any fun, so we left.
Last year was un-memorable. Emma was 14 months old. We parked a little further away in case the sound did scare her. I don’t think she really noticed the fireworks at all. We took a picture with the camera on the tripod. I can’t seem to find it right now. But it’s great. You can’t even see Emma’s face because her coat hood is in the way. ;)
Then there was this year. I’m so glad I brought the video camera. I’ll just let the video do the talking.



0 comments:
Post a Comment