Two and a half years ago, I was downsized from a very well paying job. A few months later I got another job. Making a little more than half my previous wage. A month later, Emma joined our family. I tried to be a work-outside-the-home mom. I tried for almost a year. It just wasn’t good for our family. So I left my job to be a stay at home mom. While I haven’t regretted it for a second, each of these life changes has required us to do a bit of belt tightening. One of the things we have done in the last year to cut expenses, was to ditch cable tv. I’m not going to lie. I miss it at times. But Netflix helped to fill the void. Then they jacked up their prices, and I felt the need to cancel our subscription on principal alone.
One day I was flipping through the Tivo suggestions (it records things you may like based on things it knows you like.) I’ve never been a big PBS fan. No real reason why. I guess I just had other options. But I decided to play an episode of Word World.
Emma LOVED it. We’ve now set the Tivo to record it on a regular basis. She’s become somewhat obsessed with letters as a result. She sees them everywhere we go. She’s always pointing out letters. Lately, more often than not she identifies them correctly. I’m so amazed!!
Sometimes at random, she will spell words she has seen on Word World. Box, tuba, drum, and hat are ones that come to mind. The other day she was playing and I heard her say “H-A-T hat!” I’ve said before that I’m not sure whether to be amazed that she has absorbed this, or embarrassed that she’s seen it enough to remember. I think for now I’m going to be thankful she’s using this as a tool to learn!



0 comments:
Post a Comment