Saturday, October 15, 2011

Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day

“A person’s a person, no matter how small.” ~Dr. Seuss

One in four women will experience the loss of a baby at some point in their life.  How many do you know?  Chances are you know many more women than you think, who have experienced loss, and grieve in silence. Some choose the silence – they prefer to keep the baby and their grief private.  Others don’t talk about it, because no one seems to understand.  It seems to be a taboo subject in our society.  I’ve been amazed when I open up to others about our own losses, how many others have had similar experiences.

40416_128929233817788_128929057151139_165804_7129620_n

I am one in four.

A miscarriage isn’t simply a pregnancy that doesn’t work out.  It’s a heart that stops beating.  It’s  a loss of life.   It’s crushed dreams.

It’s the death of a baby.  A beautiful baby.

Look at that perfectly formed baby.  A real person, with arms and legs, and just three weeks earlier at another ultrasound, she had a beautiful beating heart flickering on the screen.

Our babies are safe in the hands of Jesus.  I am thankful that they will never know the other side of grace.  But I still grieve them.  The grief isn’t as fresh as it once was.  But it still stings.

It’s true.  My arms are no longer empty, but my love of one child can not replace the love I have for another.  This mama’s heart has love for each of her babies—here on earth, and in heaven.

We miss you Gabriel Allen, and Bella Hope.


(Oh, and for the record, we named Bella before we had ever heard of Twilight.  I have still never seen any of the movies or read any of the books.  Bella means beautiful.  I could not get over how beautiful and perfectly formed she was on the ultrasound images, even after her heart stopped beating, she was perfect.  She was beautiful, and she gave us a beautiful hope.)

0 comments: