Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Thankful for the little things

I had a dentist appointment on Friday. The hygienist started going on and on about his wife and son going out of town and how bored he is without them. They are his whole life. His wife is due to have their 2nd child in about 6 weeks. Between mouthfuls of hand, in a round-about way I was able to share with him that we had been trying to have a baby for several years. He said he understood. He and his wife had tried for 2 years and had 2 miscarriages before conceiving their now 16 month-old son. They set up an appointment with some sort of specialist, and were at their initial consult when they found out she was already pregnant! At this point, I kinda thought maybe this guy really does get it. But then he went on and on.... Then the dentist comes in for my exam, so the hygienist goes on some more about the car seats and how it's harder than they thought to get the 2 car seats into their smaller car, and tells me the dentists wife just had a baby 2 weeks ago, and was asking him all kinds of questions. Good grief, I almost thought I was at an OB's office, with all the pregnancy and baby talk, instead of a dentists office. I kept thinking how thankful I was that I was in an OK place with my infertility journey that day. I can think of many many days that I would have been choking back tears to hear all of that. Hopefully I'm still in that good place when I go back today for sealants, and in a couple of weeks for a filling!

0 comments: