Thursday, November 25, 2010

Can we build it? YES WE CAN!

I've become a HUGE fan of Ana-White.com formerly known as Knock Off Wood.  Ana is a stay at home mom who has started creating DIY furniture plans. She has a huge variety of hundreds of different plans.  Many items are Pottery Barn inspired.

I'm a fairly handy person.  I'm crafty.  I love to create.  Whether it's from wood, paper, camera, computer, fabric, yard... you get the idea.  So Ana's site is right up my alley.  I've built a few basic things before, and Mark and I built our fence in our back yard.  I love DIY projects.


 It's a dirty job... But I love it! 

My first project was this set of stacking cubes.  I'm a bit of a perfectionist.  They are not perfect.  So I got a little discouraged, and distracted.  They are close to being finished, but they are in the garage... There will be five total cubes.  One stack of two and one stack of three.


My next project was a step stool for Emma.  She isn't getting a lot of use out of it yet.  It has built in storage under the top step.  She loves to open and close it.  I have used it to get her closer to the sink to wash her hands.  I can see it being more useful in the future though.  I still need to decorate it.

Then I decided on the next project.  (Are you getting that I'm out of control here?) I made a table that was a modification/combination of a couple of different Ana plans. I made it smaller so Emma can use it now.  I'm very happy with how it turned out.  She really likes it.

I'm going to make another chair for her and modify it so there are arms on the chair to help keep her from falling over.  I've got the lumber in the garage, just need to get out there and build it!

I have a funny story about the paint.  Now that we are a one income family, budget is very important.  I'm going to be redecorating Em's room to be pink and brown.  I had a gallon of white paint that I bought on clearance last year for something else, then didn't end up using it.  Then last month I was browsing the "oops" paint at Home Depot (an Ana White recommendation) and saw a pint of red paint.  I didn't have anything to make with the red paint, but hey, it's $1.00 and she's always talking about mixing up her own crazy custom colors, so why not?  So, think back to your elementary days... what do red and white make?  You got it!  PINK!!
I mixed up the paint for that table with my red and white paint in a pickle jar and stirred it with a chop stick.  Some times ya gotta make due with what you have.  I think it turned out quite well!!

My current project is a Christmas gift.  Since the recipient is too young to be reading blogs, I can talk about it here (as long as her mom doesn't show her a picture).  It's a doll bed.  The plans for this bed are modeled after the most downloaded plan from Ana's website, The Farmhouse Bed.  I must admit, it's very cute.  I may have to make myself a farmhouse bed.  This one is still a work in progress.  I built it today.  I still have to sand, fill holes, sand again, prime and paint.  It will be painted "Pickle Jar Pink." Then I will make bedding for it.  I believe I have scraps of fabric so the quilt will be free.  I have foam for a mattress.  It's designed for an 18" doll. So she can use it for awhile.  This gift will have a large investment of time, but not much money at all.  I think that makes it even more special.  I'll try to remember to post a picture when it's complete.


0 comments: