Sunday, May 16, 2010

Forever Family

Seven years ago, Mark and I became a family.  Most people don't see it that way.  In their minds it takes a child to make a family.  This simply isn't true.  We spent six and a half years as a family of two.  Our desire (well, mostly mine) was to add a child to that family for that entire six and a half years.  But I truly treasure that time with the two of us.  Mark is my best friend.

Seven and a half months ago the baby we hoped and dreamed of for so many years was placed into our arms.  In that moment our hearts knew we were now a family of three.

While our hearts knew this, it took the legal adoption process a little while to catch up. :)   We had some hiccups along the way with our adoption agency.  That is a topic for another time.  Two weeks ago, we went to court to finalize our baby girl's adoption.  There were more hiccups with the agency.  The judge approved the adoption as of that day, pending receipt of some additional paperwork from the adoption agency and Idaho Department of Health and Welfare.  As much as we wanted to celebrate that day, we couldn't do it.  We went to breakfast, but it just didn't feel like celebration day.  After all of the loss, and loss of control with infertility and pregnancy loss, I was just waiting for something else to go wrong, for everything to unravel.

This past Friday, I opened the mailbox to find papers from the attorney.  Our certified papers.  We are forever.  The tears came.  Finally, we are free to celebrate!

On that note, it's almost tomorrow.  Tomorrow is Monday... I better get to bed.  Goodnight world!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Becky said...

Sorry for not commenting before now. But I wanted to congratulate you on officially becoming a forever family! I am so happy to see you with your child in your arms. It strengthens my faith to see what the Lord has done.

Loved Little Ones said...

anxious to see what is happening with the sweet Emma and fam :)
Jen