Monday, March 14, 2011

More thoughs I've been thinking...

Here I go with a controversial topic.  What am I thinking putting this out there for the world small handful of blog readers I have left to read?  I conflict.  I hate confrontation.  But yet, here I am.  I have some more thoughts I've been thinking today, and I'm going to use my blog to process these thoughts.  I really should be sleeping.  But here I go.

I will start by saying, I believe life begins at conception.  I believe that abortion stops a beating heart.  Conclude what you will from that.

Before I left the workforce to spend my days in my jammies eating bon-bons and watching daytime tv stay home with Emma, I worked in an office building.  The main entrance to that office shared a small entryway with the local branch of what is known in pro-life circles as one of the nations largest abortion providers.  (Note I'm purposely not mentioning their name here.)  I've been told that abortions are not performed in this specific branch, but rather referred to another branch in a larger city.  Every year in the 40 days leading up to Easter, pro-life groups would stand in protest daily outside this office building.  It is my understanding that it is a national campaign.  I believe a fair number of these protesters go to my own church.  (We drove by that building today, sparking this stream of thoughts.)

Each day as I walked into my office, I would be embarrassed.  Why?  Why was I embarrassed?  I certainly wasn't going to have an abortion.  Wasn't even considering it.  Wasn't even entering that clinic.  Then there's the pesky fact, that thus far my body has been unable to successfully sustain a pregnancy.  Most days these protesters never said a word to me.  They didn't have to.  The judgment and condemnation oozed from their pores.  This condemnation was directed at anyone walking toward that building.  They did try to force literature on some of my co-workers.  I wonder is this REALLY the way to go?  I guess only God truly knows how effective this tactic is. But I can tell you, it left a seriously bad taste in my mouth.  Out of the nearly 6 weeks that the protesters were there daily, only two ladies kindly greeted me.  I wanted to hug them, but instead thanked them for their kind greeting, and told them that made a difference in my day.

Yes, there are people out there who have repeated abortions, as some sort of means of birth control.  But I'm guessing far more than that feel they are simply not in a place in their life to care for a child, they probably feel scared and backed into a corner, with no other way out.  So, if you've never experienced an unplanned pregnancy (as I have not) step outside yourself.  Imagine you are now facing that.  Would you rather be met with judgment and condemnation, or love and compassion?

At times I've felt looked down upon for choosing domestic infant adoption.  I've heard people say, "Why wait on a list for a newborn, when there are hundreds of thousands of kids waiting in foster care in our own country, and even more in orphanages abroad?"  My answer to that would have to be that choices made in growing one's family are deeply personal.  It took many years, and we wholeheartedly believe that this was what God had for us.

I've been doing a lot of thinking on open adoption over the past few days.  We are part of a semi-open adoption.  I have been so blessed to see the healing begin to take place in Emma's birthmom's life.  I'm not saying that the whole thing is easy for her.  I know she misses Emma.  I know at times she grieves the fact that Emma is not in her everyday life.  But she has also expressed to me that she does not regret her decision.  Oh how that blesses this adoptive mama's heart.

Recently I read an exchange between Emma's birthmom and some of her friends on facebook, and all I could do was cry.  I don't know for sure what her stand was on abortion previous to now.  However she was expressing how she would like to see abortion become illegal, and that adoption was the way to go.  She shared a bit of her adoption experience.  She outed herself on facebook.  Before this she had kept her pregnancy with Emma and the whole adoption on the down-low.  Only a select few in her life knew.  Now she is ready to spread the word about the beauty that can be found in adoption!  As I reflected on these thoughts today... not to toot our own horns, but... well... Mark and I are going to have to take a little credit there.  Follow my logic for a moment.  We have taken great care to do everything we can to provide the best possible adoption experience we can for Em's birth parents.  This is not to say that it has been easy for them, or that we have done everything perfect.  However, we have stayed true to our promises as far as our openness agreement.  We have shown love and care for them.  We will always honor and respect them in our home as the people who chose life for our daughter.  I don't want our attitude or actions to ever make them regret their decision.

I'm certainly not trying to infer that we did some great and noble thing in adopting Emma.  It couldn't be further from the truth.  Our motives were quite selfish.  We wanted a child.  Adoption vehicle God used to add a child to our family.  I think the "savior complex" in adoption is a slippery slope.  Children don't need saved.  They need FAMILIES and love!

I'm also not trying to suggest that everyone is called to adopt.  But that doesn't mean you can't make a difference.  You can financially support, and/or volunteer at a crisis pregnancy center.  You can help someone who is called to adopt.  There are many ways.

So I am left wondering, which truly has a larger impact on someone considering abortion... The words of a woman who chose an adoption plan for her baby and doesn't regret it, or the judgmental looks, and condemnation from someone holding a sign outside an abortion clinic?

So those are the thoughts I've been thinking.  It's now 2 am.  I really should go to sleep soon.  Stupid daylight savings...

6 comments:

*Lissa* said...

Beautifully put, Niki.

Esther said...

Niki
i have to admit since facebook, I'm terrible at blogging too. I'm posting for all the world to see. I'm sort of kidding here but I know some will see my comment and hopefully not pass judgement.
You and Mark for sure need to take credit in Em's journey. It takes the right people to have an open adoption. I'm sure it is also a process too.
After our last IVF I was ready to move on. I can't say necessarily I was ready, I just knew that IVF was not working for us after 4 tries and there was really nothing further for us to do except egg donor. I took Robert to a adoption meeting and we had dinner afterwards. I was shocked that Robert and I were no longer on the same page. He was scared to death of having an open adoption. For the very reasons that I think most people want their child all to themselves and don't want to have that uncomfotable feelings that go along with conversation between birth parents and adoptive parents. So I give my hat off to you and Mark for being open to that and it's wonderful that you've had such a good experience....not that it's been easy. ok that's all I wanted to say was as much as you don't like confrontation, you sure have a lot of experience in it ;-)
Keep writing in your blog. I know it gets hard with all your projects but sometimes its so hard to be the only non PC person in the bunch.
hugs to you
Esther

Esther said...

i say that it's a process because I'll never know what could have been. Eventually maybe Robert would have gone through the process of being ready to go through adoption.
I think we are going to be a one child family. Being almost 42 I can't see myself having another child but of course it's all in God's hands right ?

PP Admin said...

Tears.....just beautiful, Niki! Open Adoption is not easy. I often want to write my own thoughts in my blog, but am gripped by fear. Sigh. Thank you for sharing your heart, sweet friend.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

I have often thought that if I was allowed to do one thing to stop abortion it would just be to share my story. To share my desire for pregnancy. And to share my celebration in adoption. Well put.

Becky said...

I couldn't agree with you more Niki! Love this post! I pass a PP location on my way to my dentist's office and there is always one woman out there with all the awful signs passing out literature to anyone who walks by. She stopped me this morning as I was passing by on my way back to my car (I had chatted with her one other time). Well as I am standing there, she starts yelling at a man walking by (I don't even think he was going to PP), and I couldn't help but think that there is a better way. I think personal stories from those who chose adoption and from those who did not would have a far greater impact.