Sunday, August 23, 2009

When life gives you lemons, make baby forumla.

Huh? Let me explain.


When I was pregnant this last fall, I registered on a couple of websites to track the progress of our pregnancy. I also bought something at a maternity store, all of which asked for my due date. One of these places sold my name address and due date. So starting in late June I started getting "Welcome Baby" packages from baby formula manufacturers. The first time I got one of those packages out of the mailbox it nearly sucked the air right out of me. It was a reminder that we will never hold our precious Bella in our earthly arms. I was crushed, and Mark just wanted to get rid of the formula. Once I got myself together, I checked the date on the formula can. It's good for nearly a year. There's a reasonable chance we could have a baby home in that time. Since then I've gotten what seems to be weekly formula checks. They are basically coupons. I hate to see them go to waste. So I've been buying formula. We don't want to spend a ton of money on formula right now because we don't know when baby will be coming home, and the last thing we want to do is waste money. So I've been buying mostly Ready to Use formula. (It's liquid, don't add water). This is the most expensive formula per serving. But it's the cheapest per can. So if I have a $5 formula check, and the Ready to Feed formula is $5.88 to $6.49 per can (depending upon brand) I can use the check and not have too much invested. I'm building up quite a stash. Baby isn't even here yet, and he or she already has their own cabinet in the kitchen.


I figure if we don't have a baby home by the time this stuff gets closer to expiring, I'll donate the stash to the local pregnancy crisis center, and be a blessing to someone else.

2 comments:

Loved Little Ones said...

I meant to tell you your baby room looks great! So beautiful, and of course I love the theme :) Everything is looking gorgeous in your preparation. I'd like to see you book if you'de let me :) Congratulations on your next step :) Thinking of you, Jen

Becky said...

I think it is wonderful that you are taking these steps of faith in preparing for your baby. I loved the blankets and your profile from your previous posts. You are very talented!